Oh my gosh, we just had the best night ever!! (you should know that I only write on here about the best days, and that not ALL my days totally rock!)
Soooo, Keven and I discussed that we dont teach our kids enough about giving service and that we would devote one FHE each month to doing service. Well, I asked the kids earlier today what they thought we could do, and they were all like, "Oh man, seriously??" So I said, Okay we will write letters to our missionaries Jordan & Matthew. They were ok with that.
Well it was hours before FHE was to start and Taner has $100 burning a whole in his pocket and he was determined to go to Walmart and buy a music player so he has somthing to listen to on the way to Vegas tomorrow. (he is going with Guitar class to see the music festival)
Long story short, he decided to save his money for an Ipod Touch since he is so close and we left empty handed but in the parking lot we noticed a lady wandering around kind of distraut and talking to herself. Well she seemed harmless enough so as she approached my car I rolled down my window and she basically said she felt really dumb but her car broke down and she was out of minutes on her prepay phone and she wanted money to buy a card to put more minutes on her phone, well, I'm no dummy so I said, well, here use my phone, who are you calling, etc.
Come to find out she was trying to call her father in Tuscon which is where she was headed and she had allready used the phone of the worker inside and couldnt get a hold of her dad. (at this point many things are going through my head, like, put her in your car and take care of her, call Keven and have him fix it, feed her, bathe her, and convert her) (all the other alarms in my head were going off about protecting my kids, my belongings, my life, and well, those all got over run by the lesson we had in RS on sunday about doing missionary work and if you do it you will be blessed, so I was banking on the blessings of safety at this point, besides, I could take her down if I needed to)
Well, I called my wonderful Kev and he said, I'll meet you there in the parking lot and he came and checked it out and found that what she thought was an exploding water heater on the freeway was just her oil cap coming off and he got her more oil, and oil cap, and topped her off and we took her to our house, he fixed it, we fed her dinner, she showered and she is sleeping in the camper as we speeek!! (I also bought her $20 more of minutes for her phone) Before we left Walmart I told her that tonight was Fam. Home Evening and that we wanted to do service tonight so we were going to serve her, she was like, Huh? Whats that? So of course I explained that we were mormons and talked about the missionaries (plugging in the guys in the white shirts part here) and how the sister missionaries (plugging in that women also serve so if she was afraid of boy ones, girl ones was an option) had given us a lesson yesterday about doing missionary work and helping people in need. She mentioned having seen those boys on bikes before but wasnt familiar with the weird rules of mormons and FHE so we talked about that. While in the checkout line there were many magazines with girls in bikinis so I stood in front of them and jokingly said to Taner how I was protecting him from soft porn, and she was like, huh? So I told her look at that, it's soft porn and we joked about how hard it must be for Taner to go outside each day without seeing anything, and we just smiled laughed and tried to help her losen up and feel comfortable with us. I mean really, we were afraid she would take us for all our money, but she was probably afraid to trust us and go to our house too.
All the while she was humiliated and kept mentioning how dumb she felt and how grateful she was, and I simply explained that if Jesus came to my door needing anything I would give him everything and its the same for me to do things for her, its an honor and a privledge and she was all teary eyed all night long. It was an absolutley awesome experience for my kids, she told her story and for my kids to see that not everyone is a mormon being raised in Mesquite and that their lives are so simple, was really good for them. She is 32, coming from Texas going through a divorce, heading home to Tuscon to her parents (she ended up this way because she dropped off a friend in Kansas first - we didnt ask) But she was obviously a chain smoker, a non teeth brusher, and without the gospel. She was great with Taner telling him how she and her sisters had one brother and they really beat him up so Taner was lucky and spoiled because she never had a cell phone. She was amazed and impressed with my kids even though Kate was pretty much in full demon mode the whole time. We asked her all kinds of questions and gave her bottles of water, snacks for the road and a real map from Google.
Here's the clincher, at what point do you say more? The voices in my head are screaming (I know what you needdd!!) So, After dinner we sat in the front room and talked and it was so nice. I didnt go there with the plan of salvation but I asked her to take a pass a long card and take the time to go online when she got home and if she was ever really down and depressed and needed a spiritual pick me up she could call the missionaries and they could bring her a message no strings attached. She was pretty overwhelmed with our house, kids, and how "perfect" our lives were to her so she retired early and we are still on cloud 11!
My kids were like, oh my gosh, we are so jazzed, that was awesome, I wonder if she's ok out there, and all kinds of stuff. I told them, see, you dont need to do drugs, you just need to do service and it feels like you drank a monster!! Taner was like, this rocks, I feel like I have drank a 2 liter of Mt. Dew!!
We are calming down now and I'm sad to think she is out there in my trailer. She was going to finish her drive tonight, but she knew she needed sleep. She said Walmart said she could sleep in her car in the parking lot but I said, No! You will sleep on my couch. She said, well, maybe I'll just sleep in my car in your drivway, I said, NO! You will sleep on my couch. But Keven said, hey, if she isnt comfortable with in here, I'll set up a bed in the trailer and she will be comfy and warm, etc. So it worked out great.
The lord works in mysterious ways people. We asked to give service and the opportunity fell into our hands. I dont want any blessings for serving her, it was absolutely positively the best experience I have had in a long time and my family and I were the lucky ones.
Good Luck Hollie.
So happy for you guys! That was an amazing experience. Love it.
ReplyDeleteshe'll forever be grateful for you.
ReplyDelete